Monday, September 13, 2010

The Count Down

We have essentially another month before our trip begins, and the excitement is over flowing!

However, we still don't really have a direct answer to everyone's question: "So, where are you going to go?"

Fall is already in the air here, leaving a window open at night now means very frosty mornings and no desire to leave the blanket. So that means in a month from now, traveling up north won't really be on the top of our list... which unfortunately rules out Boston and New York. I was born and lived my first 9 years just south of Boston and most of my extended family lives up there... And I have never even been to NYC. Looks like I will just have to visit those places another time.

When we "kick off" we plan to visit our families in NC, SC, GA and AR. So! It looks like we will follow along basically in that order. I've had the idea in my head to maybe make it to New Orleans for Halloween but we may be in the Carolinas a bit longer making some extra travel cash. We know we want to visit AZ, Las Vegas, and then up Cali to Oregon... But we don't expect to start traveling North again until spring time where we can hopefully find a farm to work on in the Northern Cali area. Specifically a Vineyard Maybe?? :)

Before then I hope to get new front shocks on Lenny, check out the CV boots to see what kind of condition they are in, a complete brake job, and I need to put a new E-brake on because ours really does not work. We rely on chocking the tires for the time being... Also we are missing a thread now on our oil pan. After we did an oil change this weekend we have been leaking a significant amount of oil from there... We are hoping that we can put some sort of high temp gasket on there to keep the oil from leaking... Cause seriously I think we must be losing close to half a quart a day! Or I can be ghetto about it and keep a cup under there to catch the oil and just pour it back in before I drive! Hahah, but I think I would rather just fix it. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura Anne, you know, your travel plans will put us in close proximity a few times over the next several months I think. Will have to keep an eye on where you are so maybe we can meet up and share a campfire :) I know Heidi and I would enjoy it!

    On the oil pan, I wouldn't try the silicone on the plug. There are nylon washers you should be able to get that are made for the purpose and do a decent job of stopping the leaks. Hopefully there isn't too much thread damage, but if so, there may be a larger oil plug you could have the hole tapped for. Check with a few parts stores and I bet they have something along those lines. Hope it is a reasonably easy fix :)

    -Mike
    97 RT 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
    HTTP://WWW.VanTramps.Com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, that's exactly what we did. Trey ordered a washer from the auto store here, it did slow the leak substantially but we still have a slight drip (I believe this is normal for VWs)! :)

    We would love to meet up sometime, that would be fun! We will keep in touch, maybe through email or facebook? I never receive emails with updates from blogger :( I am on the Vantramps page on facebook and I think I have talked with Heidi on different discussions before on there. :)

    ReplyDelete